Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Is this the Promised Land?

As I thought about Dr. King yesterday and watched today’s inauguration, I started wondering: with the inauguration of Barak Obama, have we at last crossed the River Jordan and reached the Promised Land that Dr. King told us he’d seen from the mountain top the night before he was killed?

I’m sure I don’t know. But then I had another question. What if we act like we have?

Reaching the Promised Land does not mean that our work is done, it only means the journey is over. We sometimes forget that only the land is promised. The milk and honey and sweet fruits come only after long days of labor. And it can all recede in the distance again if work isn’t done. And done again.

“We are likely to preserve the liberty we have obtained only by unremitting labors and perils." --Thomas Jefferson, 1796

No comments: